Sunday, July 18, 2010

Acai Popsicles ... Too Far?



Acai, the super berry of the decade, is reputed to have more antioxidants than cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. Supposedly, the acai berry, which is found in the Amazon rainforest, can help you lose weight, provide anti-aging benefits, improve digestive problems, soothe irritated skin, correct sexual dysfunction, provide energy, and even offer a more restful night of sleep.

Whether you believe in the super powers of the lovely acai berry is one thing. But, does Edy's take it too far (way too far) by leading you down the primrose path and allowing you to believe that you may obtain all of these benefits by devouring a yummy Edy's fruit bar made with acai blueberries?

Unless acai makes this berry pop really super delicious, I put my money on Edy's new Acai Blueberry with Antioxidants Fruit Bars falling squarely in the gimmick category.

In all fairness to Edy's, they do not make any claims other than "Real fruit, naturally." But, even that feels like a push to me. I know it's not saying that it's an all-natural bar, but I do believe it infers it. I wonder if a communication test would show that most consumers perceive this as either an all-natural fruit bar or a really healthy treat??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com