Friday, September 17, 2010

Save Someone's Life ... Every 56 Days

I was driving to work the other morning, when I glanced up at one of the billboards adorning the interstate.

Never saved a life? It taunted me.

Well, of course, I never saved a life. Chances are you haven't either. Who has?

But, then I realized that the message was assuring me that I could, in fact, save a life ... in fact, I could save someone's life every 56 days. How? By donating my O Negative blood.

Just like you, I've been exposed to all kinds of ads from the Blood Center for a good share of my life. I've heard the pleas to donate blood on the radio, on billboards, on posters, at events, at my children's schools, at work.

But, something about this ad grabbed me on a whole different level. It made me stop and pay attention.

Oh, I know that donating blood can save lives. Chances are you do, too. But, I thought of blood saving lives somewhat distantly ... kind of like that friend you had in 8th grade that pops into your mind once every few years or so. You think about them fondly, wonder what's up in their lives, and then promptly forget them.

But, this billboard delivered a promise that was impossible for me to ignore. It assured me that my O Negative blood would - not could - save someone's life and that this would happen every single time I donated.

Wow.

It sure makes all my excuses for not getting to the Blood Center seem, well petty. Regardless of your blood type, giving blood is one easy, sure-fire way for you to feel like you're passing a piece of you out into the world to help others.

Did you know that someone in the U.S. needs blood every two seconds or that 14 million blood transfusions are given each year?

My advice to you is to go to your local Blood Center and ante up. You'll feel good about yourself ... and who knows, you just might save a life.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. As the creative director for the ad agency for BloodCenter of Wisconsin, i want to thank you wholeheartedly for the kind words. They mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the creative - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com