Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hostess and Healthy - An Oxymoron?

Company X has launched a new line of muffins made with whole grains, fiber, real fruit, and nuts.

If I read the above statement, I would think the muffins sound pretty good. Whole grains, fiber, real fruit, nuts ... what's not to like?

Now, let's try reading that same statement with a brand name inserted.

Hostess has launched a new line of muffins made with whole grains, fiber, real fruit, and nuts.

My perceptions of this muffin instantly changes. Somehow, I perceive that Hostess played around with the laws of nutrition science to deliver a kid-friendly, sugar-laced muffin that tastes good ... but isn't good for you.

Amazing what the power of a brand name can do, isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com