Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Yoplait Oversells, Underdelivers

The latest Yoplait commercial opens with a woman hungrily eying up a delectable raspberry cheesecake in her refrigerator. She goes through an internal struggle that many of us can totally relate to...

What if I just had a small slice?
I was good today. I deserve it.
Or, I could have a medium slice and some celery sticks.
And they would cancel each other out, right?
Or ... OK, I could have one large slice ...
And jog in place as I eat it.

So far, so good, right?
We've all encountered internal struggles like this at some point, right?

But, here's where things head south ... and fast.

In steps woman #2, who reaches for the raspberry cheesecake to satisfy that craving she's had all day. But, instead of reaching for that tantalizing cheesecake, she plucks out a container of Yoplait Light Raspberry Cheesecake.

It's not that I don't agree that Yoplait Light tastes good; I happen to be a fan. But, come on ... let's get real here. Comparing a container of raspberry cheesecake flavored yogurt to a homemade delicious raspberry cheesecake is, well, it's just plain silly.

A classic case of overselling if I ever saw one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com