Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Al Harris Makes A Power Play

On November 8, the Green Bay Packers released cornerback Al Harris from the team. A knee injury had stopped Harris from playing the last six games of the 2009 season, as well as all of this year's games. Harris had dressed in green and gold every football game day since 2003, when he joined the team. He was a starter in each of the 102 games he played and was good enough to be selected to play in the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008.

While Harris was undoubtedly surprised with the Packers decision to release him, he handled the news with extreme aplomb, taking out the above ad in the Sunday Milwaukee Journal Sentinel ... an ad that says the following:

THANK YOU PACKER NATION

Thank you for always supporting me.
Thank you for making me a part of your family.
Thank you for treating my family like your own.
Thank you for making one of the coldest places the warmest place.
Thank you for making every single day I was a Packer a very special day.
To each and every one of you, 
Thank you for making my Packers experience simply amazing.
From the bottom of my heart, 
I thank and love you all and will carry you with me always.
Love,
Al Harris 

In a day when all we hear and see from professional athletes are cries of indignation, unsportsmanlike behavior on and off the field and court, adultery, refusal to come to camp, negotiations that turn ugly, and outright arrogance, Al Harris' testimony to his Packer fans is so incredibly refreshing that I actually get goose bumps every time that I read his words.

What an incredibly classy move from an incredibly classy guy.

I know this Packer fan thanks you, Al, from the bottom of my heart for all the touchdowns, yards, and Lambeau Leaps you entertained us with each time you stepped out on that field.

We all hope that your knee heals soon and that you have the opportunity to play the game you love once again. Thank you #31.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com