Friday, November 26, 2010

Let It Be ... On iTunes

That was the promise that Apple made to all of us on Monday, November 15, 2010.

I don't know about all of you, but I was totally intrigued by Apple's teaser ad. I couldn't remember another time when Apple had taken over their home page with a product announcement. So, to my way of thinking, this was going to be big news ... BIG news.

Then, came the earth shattering news ... Apple had finally inked a deal to sell Beatles music on iTune.
Disappointment set in.

I don't know about you, but I was less than wowed with Apple's "big news."  Now, don't get me wrong. I love the Beatles and I'm happy that I can finally get their music on iTunes.  And evidently, a lot of other people are too since iTune sold two million Beatles songs and over 450,000 Beatle albums worldwide within its first week on Apple's iTunes Music Store.

I guess if you think about this as a dollars-and-cents situation, it makes sense that Apple made such a big deal about the Beatles coming to iTunes. Frankly,  they made a boatload of money on the deal. But, in terms of exciting technological news for us ... not so much.

Clearly, to my way of thinking, the hype did not match the news. Like their own ad said, the Beatles have been a big deal since 1964.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com