Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Request to Corona: Bring Back the Beach

For over a decade, Corona has made the beach their home. And the rules on this beach appeared to be iron-clad:

- No faces
- No music
- No rapid movement
- No voice-overs
- Only the sounds of nature

But, recent advertising has taken a decidedly interesting and bold turn away from this decades-long tradition, illustrating to viewers that your beach can be wherever you choose to create it.

The ad opens with soft instrumental music singing "Meet me by the sea."  The camera moves from scene to scene, showing a group of people enjoying Corona beer on a golf course, in the Grand Tetons, in Alaska, on a city deck, and in a field. It finishes with a traditional Corona moment ... on the beach ... with a challenge to Find Your Beach.

I both like and don't like what Corona has done. Let me explain.

I agree with the notion that the beach should be defined by whoever happens to be drinking Corona. Let's be honest - few of us ever have the opportunity to enjoy our Corona while lazily soaking up the sun in the Caribbean.

But, I must admit that I like the imagery of the beach, even if it is only in my mind. Since I do happen to be a Corona drinker, I'll tell you this ... if it's a wintry, blustery, 20 degree January day in Wisconsin and I choose to crack open a bottle of Corona, I don't want to think of that couple in Alaska with their stocking caps and parkas on. I want to transport myself to a beach in Cancun, where the sun is shining brightly, the palm trees are rustling in the breeze, and I can hear the roar of the ocean. 

I never looked at the Corona Beach as a physical place that I needed to recreate to enjoy my beer. I looked at it as a metaphysical place that I could go to in my mind. A place that would make my experience with Corona just a little smoother, a little softer, a little more enjoyable.

I also miss Corona's sense of humor. I liked the rug-pull that always seemed to catch me by surprise whenever I watched a Corona ad. I'm happy to see that it was still alive and well in a Corona ad that aired earlier this year.

Hopefully, we'll see a bit more humor and beach in the months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com