Friday, November 26, 2010

Kashi's Surprising Owners


"Seven whole grains on a mission. It’s more than just a tagline — they’re the very words we live by."

Kashi was created in 1984 by by Phil and Gayle Tauber in La Jolla, California. Phil and Gayle were committed to creating nutritionally balanced breakfast options that fit their health-conscious lifestyle. Seven diferent whole grains and sesame formed the basis of their newly created Kashi recipe. Their first product - 7 Whole Grain Pilaf - became their signature product.

I recently learned that Kashi has actually been owned by Kellogg's since 2000.  Now don't get me wrong, Kellogg's is up-front-and-center about their ownership, clearing stating it on the Kashi website. Nevertheless, I was still surprised when I recently learned who owned Kashi.

Kellogg's claims that Kashi is run independently of Kellogg's.  But, I must admit that I struggle with that a bit. Why would a company that has a strong infrastructure and a well-established distribution channel not lend a helping hand to the Kashi brand? And is it believable that the company that manufactures and sells Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies can also remain true to Kashi's natural and nutritious message?

Interesing food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sue Northey - Find me on Bloggers.com